Neuro Linguistic Programming...NLP
What is NLP? It is the study of how our experiences are made and what they are made of.
It's a technique that you can use to change your mind, your emotions and your body in order to take control over your life!
NLP is an ever-growing collection of information and insights, that can enable you to improve how you think, behave and feel. You can use NLP to:
- Do whatever you already do reasonably well, even better.
- Eliminate negative thoughts and eliminate unwanted behavior.
- Let go of fear and gain confidence.
- Manage your thoughts, moods and behaviors
Try This NLP Technique to Eliminate a Negative Thought or Behavior
The Swish Pattern- Created by Richard Bandler...copied and used by many therapists...this is just a summary of his technique:
Some call it the Swish Technique, but it is just a copy of the Richard Bandler creation...
The Swish pattern allows us to get rid of the feelings attached to negative thoughts and the behaviors that those thoughts create.
In the Swish pattern you replace the undesired thought or behavior with a preferred thought because the Swish pattern changes thinking.
Experience it for yourself
This is a pattern and technique created by Richard Bandler for changing your thoughts. This technique also changes unwanted behaviors...thoughts create feelings, and feelings create behaviors. Each time you use the Swish pattern you are choosing to retrain your mind and your thinking from something negative to your new desired chosen behavior and thought.
By using the Swish you create the ability to think positively , control your thoughts and 'respond', rather than 'react' to a stressful situation. By doing this, you create the behaviors you want, and eliminate those you don't want
How to use the Swish Pattern Technique
1. Determine the unwanted behavior
Select the feeling or behavior you want to change. Create a picture of the behavior, feeling or attitude ...Make sure that you are associated in this experience. Using as many senses as possible, identify clearly...how does it look, how does it feel, what sounds or smells or tastes are involved in this experience? Identify a specific image, behavior or trigger that is always there before the unwanted behavior. ... Be sure it is very clear using all your senses
2. Create a picture of the type of person you would like to be...a replacement picture...using again, all the senses.
Create a large bright and colorful image of yourself,as you would look having already resolved or changed the feeling and behavior of the unwanted image. Step out of the picture to see yourself in the picture
3. Change the visual intensity of the second picture...brightness, size and distance, making it darker.
Imagine a small postage-stamp sized version of your replacement picture in the bottom corner of the unwanted picture.
4. Bring back the old picture, #1 and step into the picture, fully associated
5. Insert in the lower left corner, the small dark picture of the desired state ...the replacement behavior
6. Simultaneously, have the picture of the current state, #1 rapidly shrink and move to a distant corner of the other image... while the small dark image explodes into full view, quickly become bigger, brighter and colorful accompanied by a swiiissssh sound...rapidly!
7. Repeat step 6 for at least 6 or 7 times ...but clear your mind after each round
After each Swish round blank your mind, fully by thinking of the color blue. Breathe easily as you do this since some people tend to hold their breath while concentrating on doing the Swish. It is crucial to the success of the Swish to clear your mind or turn your attention outside before you do each next round.
8. Repeat the steps faster and faster
Now you want to make both images change simultaneously and with increasing speed. Making the images change size and distance from you.
Have the 'negative' image become smaller and shoot off into the distance. At the same time have the 'positive' replacement image become larger and closer until it replaces the negative image completely. Imagine a "swish" sound as you do this - hence the name.
(Do this fairly slowly at first taking, say, 5-10 seconds to do it. Then continue, doing it a little faster each time, until you are swishing almost instantaneously - in less than a second!)